Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back in Kiev

Hello, all!

I have to share this first. Lamar and I have stayed and become so connected with each of you through our blog, that throughout the day we will say to each other..."Oh, this will be great to put on the blog" or "Don't forget to remind me to share that on the blog..."so and so"("so and so" would be each of you at different times) would get a kick out of this!" We love it! Thanks for staying strong with the comments. I know this may have become a bit humdrum for you, but we still relish each and every comment you take the time to share with us on a daily basis. We fight to get to the internet first to see whom we have heard from. We, too, get excited when we see Joshua has taken all that time and put so much heart into typing his own comments. It thrills us to hear from our faithful followers and we get giddy when we hear from someone new whom we didn't know was following. Yes, we have officially become blog dorks! We can't help it. It's been better than any Ukrainian wine (which isn't really saying too much) or therapy sessions we would need to get through this without you. What I'm trying to say is, "Thank you" from Lamar, Alex and Andrew, and myself. We are blessed to have each and every one of you pulling for us to get home quickly and soundly.

Alright...now to start sharing things I tried to remember throughout the day!
Our train ride to Kiev...where do I begin? Our cab driver and new friend, Nikolai, picked us up 40 minutes late to get to the train station. They don't tend to mind being late because they cut time out by not slowing down to get over the potholes. This wouldn't be an issue at all if the kids were buckled saftely in 5 point safety harnesses. But they were not. Alex, Andrew and I were bouncing around the backseat like a bunch of monkeys. They thought it was great! The bigger the bounce, the better the ride. I was quickly replaying in my mind where I had strategically place barf bags and wipes for the trip. (Thanks for the heads up Bryants!) However, they weren't for the boys...they were for me! Luckily I didn't get sick, I just turned a few shades of green.

Since we were now running late, We ran from the Taxi to the train. Alright...if you had seen us, you would have laughed hysterically that I chose to use the word "ran". Picture this...Lamar is carrying THREE shoulder bags, pulling two large bags and somehow has a stroller balanced on his head (or was it under his chin?). I really didn't take the time to look to see HOW he was carrying all of our stuff. I was holding Alex on my hip, Andrew with one hand, and an awkward overstuffed pillow I think between my knees. It's really a blur at this point. OK.. we really weren't "running" at all. In fact we had one-legged 100 year old women carrying 3 bags push us out of their ways.

Getting to the train proved to be easier than getting up on the train. We had 3 minutes! It was the fastest three minutes EVER. Lamar and I were pushing and pulling and tugging and dropping. It was crazy. Meanwhile, the boys were angels. They just hung on (for dear life) and enjoyed their surroundings. It's so precious to see in their little faces how exciting and new everything is. They must get sick and tired of me snapping pictures of them all the time. I just don't want to ever forget this true sense of "awe" they are both experiencing...no matter how crazy and chaotic it gets sometimes.
Of course when we get on the train, our seats were taken by some Ukrainian people that chose to spread out instead of staying with the assigned seats. The train is moving and Lamar and I are standing in the aisle with the boys trying to figure out how we are going to get our seats back. It's 3 hours and we can't stand the whole time. We were being ushered to sit and we signaled our seats were taken. They moved the (not-so-happy) people out of our seats so we could sit down. Dirty looks were being thrown our ways left and right. To top it off it was at least 100 degrees in there. We were boiling! (especially poor Andrew who runs on ultra-high). We were settling in our seats and I was stripping layers of the boys so they wouldn't roast. One of the women whom we had dis-placed, told me in Ukrainian anger, to put their coats and hats back on. I signaled with the international "no" by shaking my head. She proceeded to continue chewing me out that I was taking off their coats and I needed to put them on like her granddaughter was wearing. I looked down at her poor granddaughter whose cheeks were flushed and face was sweating. She looked like she would suffer heat stroke with all the layers she had on. Again, I shoke my head "no". She shrugged, gave me a dirty look and said something in Ukrainian that I know was reference to me being a horrible mommy. Now here's where I wish I could say I took the high road and just smiled and looked away...but I didn't. I could blame my reaction on the chaos getting onto the train, the heat, or my nerves just being ready to explode, but I did something I'm afraid to admit. (However, if I don't confess, Lamar would be sure to tattle on me later because he is still shocked I did it). I mimicked her! (Yes, pull out the hot sauce). I copied her shrug, look of disgust and underbreath mumblings. It was bad. Now here I am FACING knee to knee with this woman whom has just insulted me and I in return (and in shame) insulted back. It was going to be the LONGEST three hours ever. I closed my eyes and prayed. Honestly, at first I prayed for patience and that the woman across for me might turn into a pillar of salt...hey! It's happened before! Then God worked on my heart and my prayer changed from that of asking for patience to that of asking for forgiveness. I had behaved like the stereotypical ugly American and no matter what she had done, I really shouldn't have responded the way I did. I realized then and there I had to do something. I pulled out a peace offering. I took out some Animal Crackers and I offered them to her granddaughter. I knew she would refuse them, but I had to try. As I suspected, she immediately said, "Nyet (no)" but her granddaugher REALLY wanted them. Bless her precious (over heated) little heart. She won her babushka (grandma) over and we broke Animal Crackers and became friends. The rest of the ride was beautiful. We tried communicating with each other. We shared our treats, they shared their color pencils. Life was good and peace was restored once again. (However, I must say,it got sooo hot on the train that the grandaughter AND the babushka took off all their coats and hats. I'm not telling you this because I like to say "I told you so", I'm just saying it to complete the facts of my story.)

So, our train ride ended with not a single disturbance...other than a few giggles and laughs...from our boys. They were troopers. We got to our apartment (same building as before but higher up....nicer view!) around midnight and the boys STILL hadn't gone to sleep. Needless to say, they crashed quickly and they crashed hard.

They were still up and ready to go at 6:15 a.m. That's not enough sleep for two boys who are seeing the world from new angles! Lamar thought it would be a hoot to take them to McDonalds for the first time in their lives. There's not that many kid-friendly things to do here in Kiev, so I agreed. C'mon! Every kids has got to experience a Happy Meal at least once in their lives! And they can say their once experience of McDonalds was in Ukraine! Well, they loved it! I think they would have eaten the box the Happy Meals came in if we let them. We do think is was their first hamburgers ever. They didn't know how to hold them or to eat them. Andrew turned his sideways and everything fell out, so he ate after separating out the layers. Too funny. I hope they enjoyed their moments because tonight it's back to borsch (beat and cabbage soup), salad and chicken. Yumm!

We walked around the underground mall in attempts to burn off a mere fraction of our 2 million ingested calories. Unfortunately, Alex decided to have a meltdown because we wouldn't let him touch every car we passed along the street. Oh, can that boy scream. It turns many-a-heads. Of course, we don't acknowledge the melt down or temper it with treats. We ignore it which makes it get louder and bigger and causes even more heads to turn. I swear people thought we must had just beaten our son. They do NOT like children crying here. (Did you experience this
Rebecca and Sam?) Babushkas kept stopping us left and right in attempts to calm down our son with treats, sweet words, etc. Lamar practically ran them all down. I was very proud of him. He was on a mission to get our son home and into bed. The poor little guys was done! That long and loud walk home was such a frustrating and hair-pulling experience. However, the moment he finally calmed down we had him apologize to all three of us. He had to say "sorry" and give each of us kisses, and he did. It melted my heart and erased a lot of anger. Isn't that amazing how that works? Oh the joys!

Well, as much as I would love to sit here and type more, I must take advantage of this down time and do about 100 lunges, 50 sit ups, and 75 squats to burn off each fry I ate. (Oh, will I be sore tomorrow, or what!)

Love you all and have a great week. We will keep you posted...thanks, again for keeping us posted as well.
As the Bryants so eloquently said, now we are fully involved with 'Operation Escape Kiev'!
Much love,
Kris

15 comments:

  1. Wow, what an eventful day you had yesterday!! Amazing. I will have to add international peacekeeper to your resume. Even though the day was a bit stressful, I know it was wonderful to see the expanding world through Alexander and Andrew's eyes. This is all new and exciting to them. How does a Ukrainian McDonald's compare to a Japanese one? You are one more day closer to coming home, we can't wait to see you all and give you big bear hugs. Miss you. Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris and Lamar, Glad you are back in Kiev with the boys. Was Yuri disappointed that you had brought them with you? Today is Medical Day and I pray all goes well. When do you expect to the their passports, birth certificates, visas, etc.?

    Kris, that is the funniest story about the coat, hat, warm clothing and the people who had taken your seats. Don't feel bad about your very human feelings at the time. It has happened to all of us.

    Can't wait to see more pics and just the awe in the boys when they experience everything new. I am so glad Andrew realizes that you are still going to be there in the morning if he goes on to sleep. Alex, I am sure, will "get it" before long that "fit pitching" is not in the Douberly manual for raising children. Ha! Ha! I looked in our manual and didn't see it there either. It must be a Douberly thing....

    Take care, it won't be long now. We love you, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lamar and Kristina,

    I saw a posting about your blog on facebook (Laura posted a note about your amazing story) and since I knew you two were thinking of adopting from Ukraine, I was curious to see how it went. I have to say that you two are an inspiration and Lloyd and I really thank you for everything you have shared with us. I have to say that I can relate perfectly to all the things you describe daily, including the potholes, the trains, the lack of seatbelts (I never used them in the back of my parent's car for 18 yrs of my life), and it's really funny to me to read your opinions about everything... Lloyd reacted the same way every time we went to Romania.
    I just wanted to let you know that you have one more fan reading your blog (that you probably didn't know of).
    Hugs from Japan:),
    Angela Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are still in shock and awe a little yourself... And if you have to work out because of one trip to french fry land I must REALLY be out of shape although I maintain that round IS a shape. I've learned that the guilt passes... but I suppose the clogged arteries and excess fat remain. So enjoy your lunges and do a few for me if you have time. I am glad I didn't have to witness you and Lamar on a wicked hot train... no offense, but you overheated is like Lamar hungry... nobody really wants to see that! That woman was lucky words and gestures were all you used! I think that showed a lot of self control personally, but I am proud that you once again made the best of an uncomfortable situation. I wish I could say I'd have done the same, but realistically Jim would have been my only chance at recovery in that situation. I can't wait to hear more about your journey. I feel like I am a little out of the loop right now because of our skype not working... I don't even know how the soccer pros (Joshua and Jacob of course) did this past weekend! As far as the temper tantrums go... At least you don't speak the language completely so you can just translate the angry murmurs from strangers into whatever you want! Make it something morale boosting- Nyet! could mean "You are SO good looking!" or "How YOU doin'?" or even, "Boy do I love American's visiting my country!" Right? Try it... you'll find yourself giggling instead of turning red... then we can all be crazy Americans instead of just typical. Well, I have babbled insanely for long enough right now... off to get more info on an alarm system... our garage was broken into for the third time in three months so we are thinking it's about that time! I love you all tons!
    JL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hilarious! I am a visual person, so I had this image of you on the train, copying this woman! Ok, yes it was the wrong thing to do and I wouldn't be laughing this hard if you hadn't realized you'd done the wrong thing, repented and made friends with them, but you did so we can laugh about it now! Hearing about the McDonalds story reminded me of all the fun things the boys will be experiencing for the very first time! What fun you all are going to have! We love you all and pray for your speedy return! Our Love- Rex, Amber, Nicole, Bryce and Baby

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a trip! Thank God you made it safely back to Kiev. Can't wait to share this story with the boys after school today! You know they will laugh! Praying the physicals and passports go better than the train trip. Good thing that you, Kristina, do not have to have a passport picture taken. I think that you would stick your tongue out and cross your eyes. Hope you can relax some in Kiev. God bless you, Lamar, Andrew and Alex. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been enjoying the delightful posting of your amazing adventures. I hope you print them out and make a book for the boys so they will know how they became members of the family. It's such a wonderful story. Never underestimate the power of pray and the determination of the the Douberlys!

    The pictures show how much fun you are having with Andrew and Alex. The are great looking boys. You will soon all be together as one big happy family.

    Thank you for sharing your family with us. It is a real treat. Aunt Barbara and Uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love to come home and read fun and exciting things about new beginnings with Drew and Alex. I can't wait to meet them. I'm sure things will be a little overwhelming when you get home at first. It sounds like they will quickly adapt as they have in Kiev and such. I am so thrilled they were able to experience McDonald's. Any idea when you guys will get to leave to come home? Hopefully it won't take too long to get all the documents you need. Looking forward to seeing new pictures. Love to all, God Bless, Aunt Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I think I can say for everyone, THANK GOODNESS there is a blog update....and with details! My blog-crack addiction was starting to get out of hand! Can you say, "REFRESH BUTTON"!!!
    SO glad you are back in Kiev, let the Escape from Kiev begin!
    Love,
    Team Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.s. We remember getting chewed out about ava's attire ALL the time. Max would be in a snow suit in Spring! Meanwhile Ava would have no hat and a light jacket...the babushkas did NOT approve. They were all muttering angrily at the terrible Americans torturing their poor little girl with so few clothes in 60 deg weather...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing like two kids who don't speak English, a rude granny, a sweltering train and two rude Americans to heat it up more!! Kris, you were MUCH nicer than I could have been!!! I am so thankful you are far from the orphanage....must be too many movies I have seen as I have had in the back of my mind that when you got back to Kiev you could blend in and the orphanage nannies couldn't find you to steal the kids back...ha!!!
    One great adventure after another, it seems!!! I am so thankful to see each post and visualize your resolve and patience with the "typical two year old!" Hold fast Christian brothers!!!!
    Hope tomorrow is filled with more new, exciting experiences for the boys. I also can't WAIT to hear all about your homecoming and all FOUR brothers finally being together...WAY FUN!!!!
    We love you and are praying!!!
    Clara-Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is sooo fun!!!I LOVE reading all of your updates!! I still crack up at the thought of you, Kristina, mimicking that nasty old lady. It is a good thing you made amends! The guilt would have probably consumed you, and you would have had to ride that stinky hot train back and forth until you found her again just to apologize!

    I am sure you are just skimming the surface with your stories. I know there a lot more stories and these stories go much deeper than you are letting on. I cannot wait to hear the rest of the stories!

    To think the all of these experiences are new to them is awesome! To think that it is YOU guys that are giving them all of these opportunities must be so great! Are you having them do push-ups, sit-ups and lunges with you?

    By the way, if you come to CO, you can dress the boys really warm. It snowed here yesterday, and is suppose to snow again tomorrow! Last week I was in short sleeves! It is a little crazy here. The beautiful mountains are snow-capped again!

    I cannot wait for your next entry! I love the pictures too!!!

    Take care of yourselves and each other!!!
    Skype us when you can (but not now, because we are going to bed...It is 7:15 am by you).

    Love you!!!
    Laura K

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the opportunity to have Joshua read to me on Skype on Monday evening. I believe he has definitely inherited his Mom and Dad's gift of expressing himself through his writing. Yesterday, was a long day without any AC at work. Plus, I had to chaperone JV/V girls volleyball last night. Hopefully, you are having cooler weather. Off to work.
    Love, Aunt Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't go to CO, come to VA Beach, we are wearing shorts and t-shirts! 80 degrees, and sunny! Although the babushka's may have the boys wear a hat with their bathing suits!
    Love you of course!
    Rebecca, former Kiev escapee...it IS possible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mom and Dad,Thank you for calling us this morning on skype. It was fun watching my brothers wrestle.Thank you for keeping in touch with us.It really helps me from getting homesick.Well today at school I helped others so much Mrs. Ellington just layed 30 dollars in fake money on my desk!I now have 118$ .School is coming very well.I love reading what you post on the blog.I really can't wait to meat Alex and Andrew.We are keeping you at the top of our minds when we can.I am sorry I can't write a long message about the children like the other adualts can.I am very thankful to have parents like you who can pull through at hard times like this.I love writing in my journal.I know you like it.Nana and Papa went out and bought the big legos today.Nothing big has happened today.Thank you for mentioning that you like what I write.Boy did I bet you had fun at that park.God bless you.
    Love,
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks for sharing.