Friday, September 11, 2009

Sep 11 - Joy and Remembrance

First off, please take a moment to remember not only September 11, but also the countless lives lost or scarred by the wars since that fateful day. It is only through the heroic folks who have paid such heavy prices (in addition to the many loved ones) that there have not been more attacks in the last 8 years. Thanks for reflecting...it is the very least we can do.

Strangely, not much mention of the September 11 attacks here in Ukraine. Understandable considering their struggles of the last 20 years just to get out from underneath the shadow of the old Iron Curtain. There was scant coverage on BBC World News and Al Jazeera International (my only two English-speaking news networks).

Regardless, we sailed through Guardian Council today with a unanimous approval from the seven board members. It looks like the adoption is now a mere formality provided old Uncle Sergei doesn't rise up in the next week claiming he replaced his vodka bottle with a Bible and is ready to assume custody of his long lost nephews. If you have been waiting to celebrate, behold the moment is here - do your happy dances in the privacy of your own homes so as not to frighten the neighbors with strange gyrations.

We feel so confident now that we were able to buy another set of bunk beds for our growing family. They are the same model as Josh and Jake's set - just a little darker with more of a maple finish. Sweet, now my dream of perfect symmetry can be nearly realized in the bedroom furniture spectrum - does anyone else suffer from this rare affliction? Don't answer that and certainly don't dare make any disparaging comments. If you can't help yourself and feel compelled to comment negatively, just remember - this disease is contagious.

We missed our morning visit with the kids due to Guardian Council, but the afternoon session went according to plan. The boys came out looking as stylish as ever - enough said on that sad state. We promptly went outside and got down to the serious business of blowing American-style soap bubbles with one of those gigantic wands. I am fairly certain it was the first time these two had ever seen this natural phenomenon - they screamed like a bunch of monkeys who just found a banana tree. Pictures and video to follow provided we can upload them.

The boys were extremely well-behaved and will clearly assimilate into the Douberly collective with only minor hurt feelings. They can easily join our team of crack future world dominators prepared for any and all challenges. Ok, Ok, maybe the delusions are clouding my judgment - but these kids are really special y'all. If you guys fall in love with them just a half a percent as much as me and Kris, you are in for some side-splitting and life-changing fun and happiness.

Thanks to you all for the prayers and thoughts. Today was a huge hurdle that I am probably understating. Any number of things could have prevented the Council from going well - and those things just didn't happen. I am convinced it's because of the extensive network of friends and family we have that are monitoring this process eagerly and with all the support you can possibly harness. Again, many thanks.

Our next big hurdle will be the court date next week with the local judge that will finalize the adoption. That will be our Gotcha Day. Please think of the kids as they must continue in the orphanage until that final stamp.

Good night and have a great weekend all.

9 comments:

  1. WOO HOO. Yippie skadooo. My happy dance in now in the works and I don't know when I will stop. I think your comment about doing the dance in the privacy of the house means you think I/we can't dance. As you know from watching Dylan "bust a move" the Thoroman's are EXCELLENT dancers!! Words cannot express how ecstatic we are for you. We can't wait to introduce the boys to fishing, hiking and all the joys of the woodlands, bugs and snakes included. Megan sends her love and a big hug to you all. She wants to know if she can schedule a pedicure with Kristina when you return. (with a Best Bun's cupcake too). Dylan is ready to wrestle and teach them how to build the best lego creations ever. We miss you and think of you all the time. Much love, Scott, Laura, Dylan and Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad today's outcome was a success! I'm getting my second wind in order to head back to the school for Friday Night Lights....High School Football season. We had a pep rally today to get ready for the game this evening. However, we also had a moment of silence to reflect. Have a great weekend! Love, Aunt Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris and Lamar, I know that the Guardian Council saw in you both what we all see - lots of love! How could the Council not be unanimous with all the prayers and support that have been coming your way? God is soooo good!

    Let us know what day next week is your "Gotcha Day" so we can really have lots of prayers being sent your way. Congrats again for another hurdle overcome.

    Can't wait until we see more pictures. Take care and hope you get some rest. Love you guys, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad the Guardian council went well. Lots of happy dances in the Bryant household. The girls even put on their special dance dresses! You guys are moving at lightning speed in Ukrainian time. God is definitely good--and on your side! We look forward to the bubble pictures, and more news of when "gotcha day" will happen! Our prayer candle is burned down to the nub, so we are now on to prayer candle number two :)
    Love,
    Team Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are truly blessed with the quickness of everything, wow! We are SOOOOOO happy for you, you are only on day 11! It took us 42 days total...because there were all these ridiculous Ukrainian holidays...like "Women's Day" I mean really do women REALLY need a holiday?!? I mean come on now! Did they know were had an adoption to complete? Actually April and May we were told have the most holidays in the year....So apparently God knew what he was doing to have your travel date n September! :)
    Happy Guardian Day!!!!!
    With Love and Continued Prayers!!
    Rebecca and Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mom and Dad,
    I can just amagian you and Dad blowing bubbles with our maybe future sibblings.I really hope you get aprovel from the judge.We are going to Jacob's soccer game today.Jacobs game locatian is closer than we thought.It's at Prince William Parkway. My game is this afternoon.I am very exited!I can't wait to hear more news.We are keeping you at the top of our prayers.I hope you are having a good time.We are having a good time with Nana C and Papa J.I really like what you posted.
    Love
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our morning prayers before school, we did mention 9/11 and prayed for all the people and families involved.Naturally, we prayed for you and your new sons as well.
    Our skype visits are so special to the boys and to us. It is ALMOST like visiting!!!
    Off to our first soccer game!Wish you were all here to attend with us. Wouldn't that be fun???
    God bless you.
    Love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just viewed the pictures. How joyful for all of you. Praise God for putting you there. Your family has just gotten more amazing than it already was. We love you all. Can't wait to meet the newest members! Give them hugs from the Brennans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Kris/Lamar - since I didn't post a comment yesterday or the day before, I'm sure you found MUCH more free time on your hands! HA!

    I'm SOOOOOO happy all is going in apparent "warp" speed for y'all (according to Rebecca's adventure to adopt Max). That's great - am sure everyone is counting down the days until your return!

    Lamar - I thought I would crack up (as if I'm not already "cracked") with your comments concerning the "lessons" you're teaching my newest GREAT nephews (discipline and quantum physics). Aunt Sandra called Thursday night to get an "update" and I relayed it to her - she laughed heartily. I intended to post a comment, but I had a BAD HAIR experience - worst haircut in my life, I think - other, of course, than the one your Mother gave me when I was in the 1st grade. She set out to trim my bangs and kept "trimming" them up until she rounded my entire head. I went to school the next day with a neck scarf around my head - a girl thought she would be funny and pulled it off - not so! She actually attended our 35th class reunion - still hold her in my thoughts, albeit not with fondness! :-)

    I identify TOTALLY with the symmetry comment so I couldn't possibly speak negatively. I was told by my Manager once that my "perfectionism/OCD ...." wasn't a bad thing, so I'm going with that! HA! I usually blame all such qualities on your Grandma Parks - I think she was the spearhead! :-)

    Take care and know your continued success is in God's hands. Joel Osteen (pastor of Lakewood Church here in Houston) once said that our Christian ancestors have stored many blessings for their descendent children/grandchildren. Am glad we have had a "family tree" of Christians in our past!

    Love,
    Aunt Betsy

    P.S. Josh - I REALLY enjoy reading your comments - keep up the good work Buddy! I hope both of you boys had great soccer games! I'm sure Nana C and Papa J are taking picures for your Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks for sharing.